Tue, Nov 16|
Brownsburg PD Training Facility
Understanding Police Use of Force
Time & Location
Nov 16, 2021, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST
Brownsburg PD Training Facility , 75 Whittington Dr, Brownsburg, IN 46112, USA
About the Training
Understanding Use of Force examines the major legal concepts supporting use of force by LEOs; it also examines and analyzes current ‘hot button’ topics in the use of force area.
The very essence of a law enforcement officer is the ability to use force to gain compliance with laws and orders. Pro-Train, Inc., an acknowledged leader in post-academy law enforcement training, offers this seminar to advance the road officer’s professional training to ‘state-of-the-art’ levels. A brief historical foundation of use of force is followed by a critical examination of the ‘force continuum’. Seminal U.S. Supreme Court cases are examined, as well as current case law from the U.S. Supreme Court, the 7th Circuit, and Indiana. ‘Hot button’ use of force topics, including ‘choke holds’ and proportionality, are also scrutinized with tips and suggestions for avoiding civil and criminal liability. (Please note that, due to the ever-changing nature of this subject, the ‘hot button’ topics will vary from time to time.) Finally, the topic of qualified immunity for police officers is reviewed. This may very well be the most important training that a LEO could attend.
What will the student learn?
- The history and dangers associated with the ‘force continuum’;
- The legal standard for LEOs’ use of force established by the U.S. Supreme Court;
- How the concept of ‘proportionality’ affects a LEO’s delivery of force;
- How to recognize a ‘person in crisis’ and when to employ de-escalation techniques;
- What is meant by ‘qualified immunity’ and how it protects LEOs;
- Legal analyses and tips on ‘hot’, and potentially hazardous, topics in use of force.
What will the student be required to do?
- The student will be challenged to set aside preconceived notions and ideas about police use of force.
- Think outside the media driven pressure and ignore the current social pressures to ‘soften’ on criminals.
- This course is moderately paced and requires the student to focus attention and think logically.
Course Intensity The content and pace of this course will be challenging to most students. Some videos used in this course may shock those of a more sensitive constitution.
Physically Demanding The style of this course is classroom lecture; there are no physical challenges for the student.
Mentally Challenging In-depth examination of U.S. Supreme Court, 7th Circuit, and Indiana cases form the foundation of this course. Using concepts provided by the judicial system, students will be expected to analyze situations represented in videos and reach conclusions about use of force by LEOs.
Core Building LEOs engage in delivery of force every time the law is enforced. A thorough understanding of use of force concepts is fundamental to professionalism and effective delivery of police services. The result of successful completion will be a confident and more mentally resilient officer when confronted with use of force challenges.
"WE STAND TOGETHER; UNITED BY BADGE AND BY LIBERTY"
Student Take Away
- A greater understanding of how the Federal and State case laws regarding police use of force support an officer’s ability to protect themself, and others.
- Ability to identify use of force principles that keep students psychologically prepared for victory.
- A proven vehicle for imparting understanding and confidence during police use of force incidents..
- Certificate of course completion available for a fee of $3
- Certificate request must be generated through the online certificate request link @ www.PROTRAININC.com3
- (1 day) 7-hour course.
- No Re-certification required.
Attending students will need to be enrolled individually online. The student will be required to provide proof of employment either by credentials, work verified email or authorization from their agency's training coordinator. All students must be on duty and not forced to attend the training course.
Students are required to bring the following equipment with them to class.
- There are no required items to bring to this course.